Wednesday 29 November 2017

Keeping motivated this winter

With the days getting shorter and chillier I am getting back into the swing of indoor cycle training.  I know many people enjoy cycling outside throughout the winter months but personally I prefer to mainly stay inside.  It’s not that I am averse to training in the cold, in fact I love to run on a bright cold day, but when it comes to cycling I now choose to avoid the roads if there is a chance of ice and slippy conditions. This means I have dusted down the turbo and to keep me motivated I have committed to riding my bike on my turbo for a minimum of 30 mins a day during the month of November.  There are a group of riders taking part and some other aspects to the challenge, but essentially it is free and open for all to take part in, all you need to do is register.  Find out more by using the hashtag #turbovember.

There are lots of challenges designed to help keep you motivated during the winter.  Running Heroes is another free initiative I would recommend you look at.   You simply link up your running app to your personal Running Heroes account which then awards you points for each mile your run.  In doing so you can win entries to various running events as well as other running and fitness products. There is a lot more to this so the website is certainly worth a look.

Exercising with friends and trying new fitness activities are both great ways to keep up the momentum of the fitness you have built from summer training, however, for me by far the best way is to always have a goal and a training plan.    I have already set my two key goals for next year and one of them is early in the season which means I have a great incentive to train over the winter.  I also have new training plan in place designed to help me monitor and hit my targets on a weekly and monthly basis.  It is rewarding to track your progress and by continuing to train through the winter will only make your summer stronger.  Happy training!


@lindatodd74

No comments:

Post a Comment