Wednesday 7 June 2017

Turbovember (first published 17.10.16 Bath Chron)

As many of the sportives, runs and triathlons come to a seasonal end you could be forgiven for thinking, the autumn months are now about retiring to the sofa.  Well not so, in my book it is never the end it’s always the beginning of the next new fitness goal.  Best of all you have plenty time to get into a new regime and if needs be shift a little excess weight before the calorific Christmas party season arrives. And if you are keen cyclist worried about losing valuable road time as the weather begins to turn then I may have just the initiative for you.  Turbovember is a ‘fun’ initiative that a local cyclist started five years ago.  To take part all you need is a turbo trainer, and of course a bicycle to stick on it, as well as the commitment to spend 30 mins every day during November on it.  Sounds easy? Well not necessarily as there are a couple of longer rides that you have to introduce throughout the month as well.  All the details, rules etc can be found on dragonironman.blogspot.co.uk, or pick up the detail on facebook or twitter by searching #turbovember.  It is free to register and the organiser has also got a few companies to sponsor some weekly spot prizes.  I did this last year because I really could not find the motivation to get on my turbo (admittedly it had sat more in its box than out since I bought it) and I am so glad I did join in as not only did I discover the pure, sweaty joy of the indoor trainer, I also found a whole new group of online cycling friends.

But if this does not appeal then take a look at some of the new running and fitness classes the local PT guys at Vibe Fitness have come up with.   They have something for everyone, from beginner to experienced athlete.  And if you are a keen triathlete then drop in for a chat with their head coach Paul, who qualified for the Ironman Championships in Kona this year which is an incredible feat.  But best of all if you are new to any sort of fitness then go see them, they started me on my fitness journey four years ago and I have never looked back.

@lindadonaldson1

No comments:

Post a Comment