Wednesday 7 June 2017

Learning to ride a TT bike (first published May 17)


The mild Easter weekend weather was perfectly for pumping up the tyres and getting out on the road for a spin. Sunday morning was idyllic, sunny, bright and with little wind, so I set off early to get some ‘quiet’ road miles in. I was not disappointed. There was hardly a car around, which was ideal for me as I am currently building up confidence on my new tri-bike. This bike involves riding in a very different position to a road bike. As you ride you lean flat over the top tube with your arms outstretched in front of you, steering and changing gear using your tri bars. Essentially, you are cycling in an aerodynamic position so you ride more efficiently and ultimately go faster.  It is a fast bike, even with my less than slight frame on it, and while it has taken me a few rides to get used to it I am now happily in love with it. 

Being lower on the bike has made me think more carefully about whether cars and pedestrians can actually see me and if I can see them while riding. I am taking care to look as far ahead of me as possible particularly while passing parked cars or rounding blind bends. It is very easy to get complacent, even on a quiet country lane, and often that is when accidents happen, so while I am travelling faster I am riding more carefully than ever.

There were a few cyclists out early on the road with me and the nods and smiles shared as we passed each other spoke volumes, we were all having fun. Cycling is a lovely pastime and one that I can’t recommend enough to you all.

This week, I noticed a couple of mentions on social media of bikes being stolen locally. In one case a Deliveroo cyclist had his bike stolen while he was out delivering. He gave chase along with a passer-by, and alerted the police who happily recovered it later. The other where someone filmed a man blatantly cutting through a padlocked chain to steal a bike in Bristol. The man stole the bike and the police are now looking for it. I suspect it is like looking for a needle in a haystack, but what baffles me about this last scenario is the person filmed him but failed to challenge him or seemingly alert the police. I appreciate this person may have been afraid to approach, but I would urge you if you see someone stealing a bike then be extremely vocal, get help from other people around you and please call the police before you film and post it on social media. 

Happy cycling and keep those bikes safe

 

No comments:

Post a Comment