Monday 30 November 2015

My turbovember story....


Like many others I took up @davemorts challenge to turbo every day in November for at least 30 mins.  Sounds a piece of cake right? Well not exactly because as well as the 30 minute minimum there are three longer 45 : 20 brick sessions, three 90 minute sessions and one bottom numbing 120 minute one.  Again, for most regular cyclists this is not that hard a challenge but hang on a minute, here's what I forgot to factor.
 
Firstly, I already have a training plan that requires me to swim, bike, run twice a week.  Add in a couple of PT sessions and you quickly start to find adding in the 30 mins a day without getting up early doors or getting on late a bit tricky to fit in.
 
Secondly, I have a busy job as I run my own business, it's not  a 9-5 with a lunch hour, like many I work long hours. I am often at events before or after work and I do a fair bit of travelling to see clients so getting home after 8.30pm on a school night is a fairly regular occurrence.
 
Thirdly, I am the wrong side of 40 and I need my sleep!
 
But all of that aside I have not shirked the task. I have been true to myself and consistently put in the time. In doing so I have learned....
 
  • I am able to sustain cycling at a much faster cadence than I used to, for far longer
  • That I am actually ridiculously stubborn (I probably knew that) and follow the turbo videos to the letter so that I would rather die than not finish off the efforts or a session - I have started so I will finish
  • I quite like (but not love) my turbo as a wind down leg spinner after a tough session or a stressful day
  • Watching male cyclists bottoms on a screen can be quite motivating during a long session
  • I can drink a cup of team, eat a biscuit and file my nails while warming up (multitasking)
  • I can even master a phone call as long as the caller does not mind some heavy breathing
  • I do not have enough cycling kit or pairs of matching socks ever (washing machine on overdrive)
  • I really need to paint the pain cave (utility room) and sort out the cobwebs on the ceiling
  • I have welcomed the turbo on days when the weather has been windy and wet
  • There is quite a nice bit of friendly, motivational camaraderie on twitter among fellow turbovember peeps.
So while I have been known to moan on a fairly regular, sometimes daily basis "I have still to do my sodding turbo session" overall it's been a good experience.
 
All in all I covered 1,459 mins during turbovember . My legs are in better shape and I am maintaining bike fitness that I would probably have dropped otherwise. 
 
Thanks to Jason and all the other people who made it happen, and to those at the top of the league table I doff my virtual cycling helmet to and to everyone else, a nice big virtual pat on the back and a slice of cake.
 
See you next year (maybe)
 
Lx
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment