Saturday 14 November 2015

Finding time and inspiration to train


I am frequently asked how I find time to maintain a regular training regime in amongst my busy working week.   I am not unusual in this respect, plenty people do what I do, the phrase ‘if you want something done then ask a busy person’ probably applies.  But while it is about clever time management, it is also more about choices.  I choose to get up early two or three mornings a week and get a run or workout in well before the working day begins.  I choose to go training after work while others choose the sofa or the pub.  But what motivates me to make that choice comes down to the goals I am trying to achieve.  There are always common underlying goals of mine which are usually to get faster, stronger, fitter, and invariably lighter but there is also a deep sense of doing something for me that makes me feel happy inside.  However, I am not really talking about finding my inner chi (although exercise absolutely contributes to my personal wellbeing), I mean more about feeling inspired.  
Inspiration comes in all shapes and forms – currently I find mine comes from reading about other people’s experiences, usually fairly ordinary people achieving extraordinary feats as opposed to professional athletes.  There are lots of books, online forums and blogs written by people that chronicle a personal journey to completing a challenge and I am fascinated by these stories.  While they are all very personal to that person there is usually something that I recognise and empathise with and plenty to inspire me. 
Last week, I was recently part of the judging panel for the Bath Chronicle Sports Awards.  These entries were so hard to judge, so many incredible achievements and very personal, inspirational stories.  The Sports Awards absolutely inspire me and highlight that everyone has the ability to achieve beyond expectation if they truly want to.    Whatever your goal, no matter how small or trivial you may think it to be, it is by its very nature a goal and therefore one to get off that sofa and go for.  Good luck!
 
This blog was first published in the Bath Chronicle

No comments:

Post a Comment