Thursday 7 December 2017

Coping with rude remarks when running

The other morning while out running, I received a few rude remarks from a group of boys.  I shrugged them off and ran on but later it got me thinking about how comments like that could affect people to the extent they may avoid running.  Lets face it being sensitive about our body image is fairly common and for some people so much of an issue, it puts them off exercising in public.  I am a member of a Women only Facebook group where training advice is shared as well as the forum acting as a support network. I asked a question in the Group to find out how many had experienced anything similar.  I got a huge response.  Incidents are occurring regularly and what is more it’s happening globally.  This situation means many women won’t run on their own at all now because of fear of verbal or physical abuse while others admit to always carrying weapons as well as their water bottles.

Researching this further on specific runner forums it is not only women that experience this, men do too and very often it is the men who are on the receiving end of physical abuse.  Since being beeped at, wolf-whistled and jeered at when we run outside is frequent, then we need to be prepared to handle it.  Shouting back or sticking two fingers up only fuels the situation and I found the consensus among runners is to ignore the comments, don’t react or show that it has affected you and try to avoid confrontation.  If you are nervous then run with a friend, join a running group or find running routes where there are likely to be lots of other runners around. 

I usually run on my own and in reasonably quiet areas but I have found that if you smile at people as you run towards them it is usually returned and may help disarm them if they are feeling less than warm towards you.  Granted that tactic would probably not have stopped the group that decided to comment on my Chris Hoy-like thighs the other day, but you can’t win them all.  

@lindatodd74


No comments:

Post a Comment