Thursday 24 January 2013

Ride Across Britain - 4 months and counting...


Never ever take a bet while drunk.  Great advice if only I could remember it!  Last weekend, while under the influence of the amber nectar and celebrating a great home win for Bath Rugby (yes I said a home win) a gauntlet was thrown down.  The fatal words "I will if you will" backed by a promise of a huge donation towards a fundraising target I solemnly promised to put my mouth or rather backside, where the money was.  Waking up the next day I started to realise the monumental challenge I had agreed to.  Not one to back out on any challenge I contemplated the magnitude of the task ahead.

How far have I ridden previously in one go? Umm 80 miles. And how did I feel after that? Emotionally drained, elated, proud and mostly thankful I did not have to get back on my bicycle the next day.  All of those feelings entered my head when I finished. Ok 106 miles a day for 9 days then, how on earth am I going to ready and steady myself to ride that? 

Well here is the thing.  I have been looking for a challenge for a while and while there are lots of sportives to choose from, there is nothing I have found that really took my fancy.  I have been working hard recently on my stamina, fitness and general speed so that is coming along however, I have still tons to learn about road cycling (in particular how to change a punctured wheel).  But do you know what, I have began to realise my desire to ride the length of the country is deeply rooted within me.  I remember as a young lass my father telling me about his great grandfather who was a coach  sign-writer (horse drawn) and who cycled miles all over Scotland and into Northern England in order to do his job.  I was in awe of that feat.  I could not comprehend the magnitude of that at the time but when I rode my longest ride to date I really enjoyed it, despite falling off and feeling tired and sore I enjoyed every hilly, painstaking minute of it.

 
The JOGLE is going to be hard, it is going to require lots of training, mental toughness and heart.  But I have got it in spades and boy I am determined to love every minute of it.  You have one life and you have to live it to the full.  I intend to do so.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment